School Site Council
Schoolsite CouncilThe schoolsite council develops, annually reviews, and updates the Single Plan for Student Achievement (SPSA) for programs funded through the Consolidated Application Reporting System.
Pursuant to California Education Code (EC) Section 52855 and EC 64001 a schoolsite council (SSC) is to develop, annually review and updates the Single Plan for Student Achievement (SPSA). The SSC must recommend the SPSA to the local governing board for approval. Thus the role of the SSC is crucial to the success of the categorical programs a school may have.
The SSC must meet the composition requirements specified in EC 52852 unless granted a waiver from the State Board of Education (SBE). The composition of the SSC is specified as follows:
- The SSC shall be composed of:
- the principal; teachers selected by teachers at the school, and
- other school personnel selected by other school personnel at the school,
- parents of students attending the school and/or community members selected by such parents
- At the elementary level, the SSC shall be constituted to ensure parity between:
- (a) the principal, classroom teachers, and other school personnel; and
- (b) parents; or community members selected by parents.
- At both the elementary and secondary levels, classroom teachers shall comprise the majority of persons represented under subdivision (a) of this section.